Sunday 7 August 2011

Writing Challenges 1- Time Management

Posted by Unknown at Sunday, August 07, 2011
As a new writer, I have becoming well aware of the challenges of writing a book, a good one that is. Therefore, I decided why not help my fellow writers. This is my Writing Challenges Series on as the names says and how to overcome these challenges.

Today's discussion is on time management and how to accomplish your writing goals without pulling your hair out in frustration. My biggest issue was scheduling my writng time around all the aspects of my life- family, work, recreation-without neglecting any of my responsiblities but giving my writng the time it deserves. With a few hits and falls, I came up with some tips to help me and hopefully they will help you too.


Time Management Tips
1) Create a schedule
     I think that most time management issues, writing or not, stem from lack of structure. With a schedule set, the hours in the day don't seem so limiting. Everything will have a time and place and conflicts for your time will be limited also. Using timers can help you stick to you schedule.

2) Stop Procrastinating
     I know, I leave stuff for the last minute too but we are now free to break the shackles of this bad habit. A good way to combat this self-sabotaging behavior is to writng everyday, even if its only for a few minutes.

3) Set Goals
    Seeing where you're going always helps you get there faster.

4) Don't Overwrite
    Binge-writing, as its called, is unhealthy. It takes away the pleasure of your craft. Never work for hours on end without taking sufficient breaks. A timer works well here also. Stopping for a breather at least every 20 minutes is a good idea. The break itself does not have to be very long. 5 minutes is sufficient.

5) Prioritize
     Completing the hardest parts of your projest first prevents you from hitting road blocks in the future. Making lists is a good way to help with this. With prioritizing, you will learn the value of organizational skills.

6) Develop you own system
    This is basically self explanatory. What might work for me might not work for you. Time and lots of trial and error will help you develop your own writing system.

7) Stick with your system.

While this make the perfect solution, its better than jumping in blindly. Trust me.

For the mean time between time, here's an inspirational quote to keep you going.


http://rishikajain.com/2010/11/18/nothing-in-this-world-can-take-the-place-of-persistence/


I hope this has been helpful . Let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Nacomy's Romance Corner Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review