Friday 4 May 2012

Things I Love About My home: The Smell of the Ocean

Posted by Unknown at Friday, May 04, 2012

Not visible on a global map, St. Lucia is approximately 617 km2 and surrounded by the Caribbean Sea on the west coast and the Atlantic Ocean on the east coast. While this does not seem like the ideal situation during the hurricane season, it makes for scores of great "cool out" spots in the form of sandy beaches.
St. Lucian Pitons facing the Caribbean Sea

Most of our transport system was constructed on the coasts and gives breathtaking sights and as much as I love the sights (and I very much do), its the briny smell that gets me every time.

Personally, its very hard to describe the smell of the ocean but I'll give it my best shot. Its like that first breath of fresh air on a sunny morning with a little salt and tangy mixed in. Its crisp and sharp, better than morning coffee and combines with the smell of fresh fruit and the fisherman's first catch of the day to form a scent I would love to bottle. On a rainy day the scent becomes heavier, saltier, just more.

The smell always transports me to some place magical and for the two hour long drive from the north to the south, I simply sit back and float away on a dream of infinite possibilities. Besides the alternative is way worst, trying to find a comfortable positions for the increasing numbness in my butt.
In the background is Pigeon Island, a national landmark.
Beach sunset. Que Bonita!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Nacomy's Romance Corner Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review